2023 NFL Draft - Edge Rankings

The 2023 Edge class is absolutely stacked. It has high-end prospects as well as great depth heading into the later rounds. With so many prospects getting first round hype, it is time to dive deep and see which of the bunch really are going to be studs at the next level.

Below are my pre-combine/senior bowl edge rankings. These are all rather in-depth scouting reports of each player, so feel free to click each link for strengths, weaknesses, attributes, pro comparisons, etc. Also, there is a link at the top of each for a more navigable format if you are not a fan of spreadsheets.

First Round Grades

1.       Will Anderson

2.       Tyree Wilson

3.       Felix Anudike-Uzomah

4.       Myles Murphy

5.       Nolan Smith

6.       B.J. Ojulari

I will address the two prospects that deviate the most from consensus. First, Myles Murphy getting a grade of a mid-late first. I get that this is wild, but saying his tape is unpolished would be a compliment. He really has absolutely no pass rush moves whatsoever. I am unsure what they are teaching over at Clemson because Bryan Bresee has a similar issue.

Murphy is an incredibly rare specimen with unbelievable movement skills at over 275lbs who can play across multiple defensive fronts. His pro comparison is former first overall pick Travon Walker because he really is that freaky of an athlete. Just understand that any team drafting him will not get a pro-ready edge prospect. He may take some time to develop, and there is obviously no guarantee that he ever lives up to his potential. Murphy could easily end up as the number one player in this entire draft class by the time it is all said and done, so I have no issue with him going top 10. I personally just value pro readiness more than most, and Murphy is far from it.

Second, Felix Anudike-Uzomah is my dude. He does not have the burst or athleticism coveted by NFL teams, but seemingly wins more one-on-one matchups than anyone else in class. He is constantly doubled due to the Kansas State 3-3-5, and admittedly does not gain pressure when doubled as often as someone like Tyree Wilson. After watching the first couple of games, all I wanted was to see was him lined up as a 4-3 defensive end. He is excellent with his hands, drive, and collapsing the pocket, as well as strong run defender. If he can gain 10-15lbs or so, which I believe is possible with his frame, I genuinely think that he could be one of the best 4-3 defensive ends in the league despite his lack of twitch. I think he is at worst a pro ready end who will be adequate on all three downs right off the bat, so I would feel comfortable taking him in the first if I ran a 4-3 defense.

Finally, I have one notable exclusion who is a borderline first rounder and may easily end up in the top 32 on my final draft board:

7.       Lukas Van Ness

Van Ness is the most ferocious bull rusher in this class. As only a sophomore, his size and playstyle will surely be appealing to the NFL. He may be worthy of a first round pick as it is with his position and current skill level. As a power rusher only who is weaker in the run game, there are just other guys who I believe should go before him. He will likely improve and has high potential, but he did not win often enough, even on his more technical reps, while playing limited snaps to elicit a first round grade.

Those are my top prospects to this point, but there are three other prospects getting some first round hype that I do not think will return value before the third round or so. This may be harsh, but then again, I personally value the current ability to win one-on-one against a tackle more strongly than raw athleticism in the first couple of rounds. Here are the three I do not believe live up to the hype:

8.       Andre Carter II

9.       Zach Harrison

10.   Isaiah Foskey

There are a couple of prospects I have not gotten to yet who may surpass these guys, and I have Derick Hall in the mix as well, but these three are the ones who have gotten some first round buzz in my circles over the last couple of months. Andre Carter is one heck of an athlete, but has absolutely zero play strength. He tries to finesse his way around running backs at times instead of going through them, and can get locked up by tight ends. His movement skills are incredible for his size, but clearly has received poor coaching and had very questionable usage at Army. I would rather have him than the other two on this list because of his raw athleticism and apparent ability to be coached and molded nearly from scratch, but he may not be able to earn much playing time for a couple of years.

Zach Harrison is a beast, but has not displayed such on the field. I have checked these stats often because I simply cannot fathom that this is true, but apparently the 6’6” 271 behemoth has 35.5” arms and runs a 4.41 40-yard-dash. The former 5 star recruit had rankings on 247 Sports coming out with a 10/10 in Pursuit, Closing Speed, Athleticism, and Frame. His report includes “Generational testing numbers at his size,” and reads unlike any other high school report I have seen.

Unfortunately, he seems to have never been able to translate that to the field. Harrison has lower production numbers all around, and really looks awkward out there at times. I even gave him a lower athleticism grade because he does not have the fluidity or agility to compensate for his lack of play strength. There are reps where it starts coming together and he bull rushes offensive tackles into the quarterback. He even has success at times with poor technique due to his unique build. If he has ample coaching, then his traits may help him become one of the better power edge rushers in the game. He has early buzz because of his insane measurables, but will likely not earn playing time off the bat.

Foskey is the most confusing member of this tier to me. He has strong reps sprinkled throughout his tape, but is still unpolished. He is not the athlete of the other mid day two prospects, and has many of the same issues. He has decent production, but he also seemed to go against dreadful competition in a couple of his games. With his issues regarding pad level, release, and overall athleticism, the first round buzz is odd. I have him firmly as a third round pick who has room to improve, and could be a solid rotational pass rusher from the edge. He just is not the kind of player I would seek in the first couple of rounds.

Upshot

At this point, some of my rankings differ from consensus. I do believe Myles Murphy will go inside the top 10-15 because of his athleticism, and I do think Felix Anudike-Uzomah falls to round two for the same reason. I also am still trying to reconcile grades of immediate impact verses project players. I think some teams should take a swing at Murphy in the early first or Andre Carter a round ahead of where I have him graded if they have the luxury of not thrusting them into a starting role. I would take Ojulari over Anudike-Uzomah if I ran primarily a 3-4, and Van Ness over Ojulari if I ran a 4-3. Rankings are not stagnant across every team, and my grades will probably fluctuate over the course of the off-season.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2024 NFL Draft: Final Top 100 Scouting Reports

New York Giants 2024 Mock Off-Season

Washington Commanders 2024 Off-Season Simulation